Saturday, April 6, 2013

Soda!

Ok, so I've been bad and had a half a size of a bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper today! I know, I know! Bad Britt! But I stopped myself before drinking all of it! Now I'm back onto water. Ok.... so I'm going to show you some of the research that I've done on soda pop, and diet soda pop.

Sugar: Ok, so most people know that soda contains sugar. One can of coke has up to NINE teaspoon fulls! NINE! That doesn't seem like a ton if someone is going to only have one can... but seriously; how many people stop at just one can of soda. Especially at restaurants, they bring you a glass and then fill it up how many times? But I know what you are thinking! You are thinking that diet soda's do not have sugar therefore they are healthier think again. Diet Drinks have a sugar substitute called Aspartame, and in my research in this I have found it to be just as bad if not worse than real sugar. Aspartame has been found to cause headaches/migraines, dizziness, and craving more sugar. It awakens the same pathway of pleasure that sugar does only it doesn't satiate the craving for it.
The next big thing in most soda's is Caffeine- Caffeine is a substance that is found in many drinks such as coffee, tea and soda. Since I don't drink coffee or tea my source of caffeine is from soda. Caffeine is a stimulant and gives your central nervous system a boost causing a burst of energy; too much caffeine can make you restless, anxious and irritable. Because it is a stimulant it can also cause sleep problems, it's also slightly dangerous because if you have been dependent on caffeine for awhile and suddenly stop your body will go through withdrawal symptoms.
Some of the other problems with soda is how acidic it is. It causes teeth problems and who wants to see the dentist more than they have to? Even if your dentist is a good guy like mine, I really don't want to see him more than my six month checkups! It also has been shown to weaken bones, especially in children who are still growing!

This is why I need to cut down to one can of soda a week. Hopefully I'll be able to cut it out completely!

Alright: 4/6/13
I went on a half hour walk around my neighbourhood with my son
I mowed the lawn which also took about a half hour

Yesterday I went to the gym and did cardio, arms, and abs. Then Jon and I went on a walk and walked to the local grocery store. He and I are going to try and walk every night except Monday's because he doesn't come home from school til really late. I love that the weather is starting to warm up! It's fun because Liam and I can hang out outside now too!

Next post: Mirena IUD and its side effects on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment